Vacation Like a Local in Downtown Chicago
Frank Sinatra once sang of Chicago: “It’s my kind of town.” From fabulous shopping and dining to marvelous attractions celebrating the Windy City’s unique culture, charm and beauty, options of things to do in Chicago are endless. However, if you want to enjoy Chicago like a local, we’ve got some recommendations that will have you exploring downtown like you’ve lived there your whole life. Natives of Chicago love their skyline, their sports teams, their cherished brunch nooks, their hip music venues, their not-too-flashy bars and their in-the-know shopping secrets
Top Things to Do in Windy City
Hidden Local Treasures:
- Go to The Chipp Inn, the oldest dive bar in Chicago, dating back to 1897. It’s a cash-only bar, with vintage décor and a pool table. Find it on 832 N. Greenview Avenue.
- Located in the heart of little Italy in Chicago, locals rave about Tufano’s Vernon Park Tap
for old-school, delicious Italian food, some of the best in the city. The charming restaurant dates back to the 1930s and is located at 1073 W. Vernon Park Place.
- For less-touristy shopping, locals recommend Lincoln Park, Wicker Park and Bucktown (particularly Damen and North Ave. for the boutiques they swear by).
- Head to the hip, understated bar, Moneygun, on 660 W. Lake Street, for classic cocktails.
- Check out Thalia Hal, at 1807 S. Allport Street, for the latest, trendy music acts and good, satisfying fare.
- Have a fantastic brunch at Hutch American Bistro on 3301 N. Clark Street, a secret gem among locals who love sleek eateries with comfort food and craft beer.
- To get authentic house-smoked Texas BBQ, Chicago-style, in a woodsy, warehouse-like, cool atmosphere, locals head to Green Street Meats. The address is 112 N. Green Street.
- For dinner, The Silver Palm
is raved about, with contemporary American food and a truly unique atmosphere. The restaurant is in a railroad dining car from 1947. Find it at 768 N. Milwaukee Avenue.
- Check out the Green Door Tavern in River North. It may seem like an average neighborhood bar, but— there’s a speak easy downstairs, next to the restrooms. It looks like a bookcase but it’s a door to an entirely different bar.
More Chicago Things to Do:
- See a comedy show at ”The Second City”. The improvisation troupe is hilarious, wildly popular and has famous comedian alumni: Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert, Mike Myers, Steve Carell and more.
- Catch a game. Now that the Cubs won the 2016 World Series, Wrigley Field is the place to be for excitement. And don’t forget the NFL Chicago Bears, located in nearby Soldier Field.
- Head to Goose Island Clybourn for handcrafted lagers and ales plus excellent gastropub food and a great vibe. Tours are available on weekends.
- Enjoy free, seasonal ice skating at McCormick Tribune Plaza’s rink, surrounded by pretty skyscrapers, or in the heart of downtown Chicago at the Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon.
- Stroll along the newly-reconstructed, beautiful Chicago Riverwalk; stop and have lunch or a happy hour cocktail on the water.
- Relax and take in the glorious Chicago skyline on a boat on Lake Michigan.
- Walk throughout our “front yard,” as we call it, Grant Park. Depending on the time of year, you’ll find food or music festivals. Plus there’s: Millennium Park, The Art Institute of Chicago, and the stunning Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain, which was built in 1927 to protect the park’s gorgeous lakefront views.
Located Near Courtyard Chicago Magnificent Mile
Situated on Magnificent Mile, Courtyard Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile is located near an array of things to do that locals rave about. Our Downtown Chicago hotel offers
upscale accommodations in the heart of Windy City such as plush bedding, free WiFi, and an indoor pool. With so many locally renowned things to do in the city, stay near all the action at Courtyard Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile.
Chicago Magnificent Mile Hotel Breakfast Packages
Get breakfast included for one with your weekday stay and experience the delectable new menu at our on-site restaurant, Copper Fox Gastropub. Save on your next trip to the Windy City with this Downtown Chicago hotel breakfast package.
This package includes breakfast for one in our newly renovated restaurant, Copper Fox Gastropub, featuring a delectable menu of American, home-style dishes.
This rate requires a stay between Sunday and Thursday.